In 2016, the firm secured a major jury verdict in a reverse redlining case against New York-based Emigrant Savings Bank and Emigrant Mortgage Company, holding Emigrant accountable for discriminatory mortgage lending practices targeting African-American and Hispanic homeowners in Brooklyn.
In 2016, the firm settled the largest affordable housing accessibility case in the nation’s history, securing an important victory for people with disabilities in Los Angeles and adding at least 4,000 affordable and highly accessible housing units in the city. The firm separately settled with the City's Community Redevelopment Agency in 2017.
In this Fair Housing Act case challenging an Ohio landlord's discrimination against tenants based on race and familial status, Relman, Dane & Colfax obtained a consent order in 2014 requiring that the landlord hire a professional management company to operate his apartment complexes and an $850,000 settlement.
In 2008, Relman, Dane & Colfax obtained a $10.8 million jury verdict for 67 plaintiffs challenging the refusal to provide water services to a predominately African-American community by the City of Zanesville and Muskingum County, Ohio.
This lawsuit, brought under the Fair Housing Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504, and state law, challenges the Dallas Housing Authority’s cancellation of project-based housing subsidies that would have permitted adults with disabilities to live in integrated homes in the community.
In this lawsuit, Access Living, an independent living center, challenges the City of Chicago’s failure to provide accessible, affordable housing to people with disabilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Fair Housing Act.
This lawsuit brought by fair housing organization against City of Peoria alleges discriminatory enforcement of a chronic nuisance ordinance on the basis of race and sex in violation of the Fair Housing Act.
This Fair Housing Act lawsuit brought by a fair housing organization and six women challenges a landlord's alleged pattern and practice of sexual harassment of female tenants and prospective tenants.
This Fair Housing Act lawsuit against the City of LaGrange, Georgia challenges the City's utility service policies—including denying utility services to individuals with unpaid court debt and requiring a Social Security number to obtain utilities—for having an unlawful disparate impact on African Americans and Latinos.
This Fair Housing Act lawsuit by Gilead Community Services and the Connecticut Fair Housing Center alleges that the Town of Cromwell undertook an unlawful and concerted campaign to force the closure of a group home for men with mental health diagnoses.
This case against McIntosh County and the State of Georgia alleges that the denial of basic municipal services to one of the last Gullah-Geechee communities on Sapelo Island, Georgia violates plaintiffs' constitutional rights.
This Fair Housing Act case challenges a Brooklyn apartment complex's refusal to rent units to formerly incarcerated individuals, under the complex's policy prohibiting anyone with a criminal record from living there, as racially discriminatory.
This Fair Housing Act case on behalf of an African-American tenant who experienced severe racial harassment by a neighbor challenges a landlord's failure to respond to neighbor-on-neighbor harassment.
- Baugh v. Covington Specialty Insurance Co.
- Fair Housing Rights Center in Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Morgan Properties Management Company, LLC
- Buckeye Community Hope Foundation v. Village of Tinley Park
- Young v. D.C. Housing Authority
- Whyte v. Alston Management
- Hollis v. Chestnut Bend Homeowners Association
- Vance v. City of Maumee, Ohio
- Rodriguez v. Village Green Realty
- National Fair Housing Alliance v. Spanos
- Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center and Provident Realty v. St. Bernard Parish
- Anti-Discrimination Center v. Westchester County
- Johns v. Stillwell
- Anderson v. City of Saratoga Springs
News & Updates
In the Media
- Kaiser Health News, 05.21.2019
- New York Law Journal, 04.04.2019
- Cook County Record, 04.02.2019
- Sojourners, 03.18.2019
- Newsday, 03.17.2019
- Courthouse News Service, 12.14.2018
- New York Times, 08.17.2018
- BuzzFeed News, 08.09.2018
- McKnight's Senior Living, 07.27.2018
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 07.26.2018
- ThinkProgress, 06.13.2018
- Chicago Sun-Times, 05.14.2018
- The Intercept, 01.02.2018
- CityLab, 11.07.2017
- Peoria Public Radio, 08.11.2017
- Peoria Journal Star, 08.10.2017
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 05.18.2017
- Chicago Tribune, 04.19.2017
- Urban Milwaukee, 02.03.2017
- New York Times, 11.23.2016
- Los Angeles Times, 09.01.2016
- Los Angeles Times, 08.30.2016
- MinnPost, 05.13.2016
- wkyc.com, 08.25.2014
- The Washington Post, 05.08.2013